History

Brief  History of Prakasam District (previously Ongole District)

About the name of ONGOLE

There is a story about the people of the Ongole neighborhood about how the Ongole got its name. The endluru village is 8 km south east of Ongole. The Kshatriyas also had a fort for the kings of Endlur. They were now the hunting grounds of the Ongole area . He was hunting here especially on the Kothapatnam Beach. One day while the kings of Endlur were hunting the rabbits, they turned against the predators who came to catch them.The kings of Endlur, impressed by the courage and bravery of these rabbits, decided to build a fort there and build their own capital. In honor of the rabbits’ bravery, they named the Vanganiprolu. They also built a fort here in the 1620s The Vanganiprolu over time became known as Ongole

Historical aspects

The Donakonda zone of the district is spreading Buddhism at Chandavaram. The oldest Buddhist monastery on the banks of the Gundlakamma River, two kilometers from the village of Vellampalli.Excavations in 1965 revealed this. The excavations found six rare rock petals and three gold flowers. All these were moved to the archeology capital. Four artefacts were excavated by the Archaeological Survey in 1972 and hundreds of small statues and 15 large stupas have been discovered. It is believed that the bricks, rocks and sculptures of these stupas may have been used in the construction of the Mahabaleshwara temple in Chandavaram in the 710 century AD when Adi Shankara was on a pilgrimage to South India. Kanaparthi village in Naguluppalapadu Mandalam became a pre-Christian Buddhist Rama and later as a Shaiva Kshetra. During the reign of the Kakatiyas and the Cholas, it became a daily practice. There is also evidence that the region was ruled by Mohammed Ghori in the 17th century. The village of Kanaparthi which was once known as Kanakajambanapur. The sculptures unearthed in the area are more unique than the Amaravati sculptures. The village of Medapi in the Tripuranthakam mandal is mirrored to the history of Palanti. When the Brahmanaidu left the kingdom according to the stakes of the losers in the Kodi Pandas This is the village where he lived. Tripathirankam came to be known as the uppercut when the village was built by hitting the nearby Medapi. In that village, Brahmanaidu built the Chennakesavaswamy temple. It is said that Brahmanaidu himself brought a statue of Chennakesava. Motupalli village in Chinanganjam was once a prominent trading center.Here the pearls are piled on the streets and sold. The village had earlier names Mukkulapuram and Poosalapuram. Researchers believe that the town of Mesolia, named after the Greek sailor Hesteris in his work, may have been the village of Motupalli today. The town of Kanigiri was once known as Kanikiri.There is historical evidence that it was once ruled by the Pallava Cholas, the Kakatiyas, the Yadavas, the Reddijas, the Gajapatis, the Vijayanagarais, the Nawabs, the British Imperialists and the Zamindars. The kings of the time ruled over the Kanigiri and built a fortress between the two highest hills.

Celebrities

It is the birthplace of famous people. World renowned Engineer Mokshagundam Visveswarayya is the home of the ancestral home constituency of Bestavaripeta mandal Mokshagundam. The famous eloquent tyagaraja ancestral home town of Arthivadu Mandalam Kakarla.

Tanguturi Prakasam panthulu garu : 

The Birth place of Prakasam panthulu garu is naguluppalapadu Mandal Vinodarayunipalem. He was born on August 23, 1872 to Tanguturi Gopalakrishnaiah and Subbamma. After the death of his father, he grew up in Addanki Mandal Nayudupalem Village at the niece of the uncle and received his primary education. Passed in Matric, FA. Then he graduated from the Madras Law College with a degree in Law. He started practicing law in Rajahmundry since 1894 and soon gained a good reputation.After practicing as a lawyer for 14 years, he went to England and completed Barrister to qualify as a lawyer in the Madras High Court. He met Gandhiji for the first time on a London ship and was fascinated by national movements. He served as state Congress president four times before independence.He served as the Chief Minister of the State of Madras and the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh as the Kurnool Capital. The Satyagraha camp at Devarampadu was held by the leaders of the then independent movement Venkatappaiah and Nageshwara Rao The National Congress President Dr. Babu Rajendra Prasad and Jalagam Vengalarao were also present. He founded the Swarajya Magazine and spread national sentiments across the country. He died on 20 May 1950.

Duggirala Gopalakrishnaiah :

Duggirala Gopalakrishnaiah is credited with giving the people of the region Spirit of Fighting with the movement of Chirala and Perala. In 1921, two villages were evacuated and houses were taken up at Ramnagar to protest the tax hike. It was the most rare event in the history of independent combat. History identifies it as the first self-governing region in India. Duggirala Gopalakrishnaiah went to Barampur in September 1921 Brave man who defied the orders of the magistrate.. Gopalakrishnaiah Park was set up in Chirala as a tribute to the great man. This is still the main park in town.

Shaik Chinnamoulana :

Padmasree Shaik Chinnamoulana Saheb is a prominent Nadaswara scholar of Karavadi village. He won the Padma Shri award in 1972 from the Vice President BD Jetty and the Kalaprapurna Award in 1985 from Shankardayal Sharma.

Bhanumathi Ramakrishna :

Actress Vidushimani Bhanumati is native of telugu at Maddipadu Mandalam Doddavaram village. She is the first studio head and director in the Asian continent.She has created a total of 35 artwork.She won the Kalaimaamani and Padmashree awards.

D Ramanaidu :

Dadasaheb Phalke Award recipient Dr Daggupati Ramanaidu is a resident of Karanchedu. Although the Srikrishna Tulabaram was built with the NTR and the Jamuna Although Premnagar was built by Akkineni and merchants, it was owned by Ramanaidu. He is only one Director Who Directed Movies in All Languages in the Country.

Darsi Chenchaiah:

Darishi Chenchaiah was born into the traditional family in Kanigiri. He graduated from the University of Logos in 1913 with a degree in agronomy. He joined the Ghadar Party in 1913 and went out with guns and some revolutionaries aboard the ship, invading Burma and damaging the Englishmen. After his release Patriot Konda Venkatappaya presided over a grand ceremony in Guntur. His book Nenu-Naa Desam is most popular.